Moving to Florida?
Florida Real Estate
Real Estate Tampa for Sale
New Real Estate in Naples
South Florida Homes
Boca Raton Homes
Bonita Springs Real Estate
GL Homes' New Home Communities in Florida
Berkeley in Boca Raton
StoneCreek in Naples
Marbella Isles in Naples
Valencia Lakes in Tampa
The Ridge at Wiregrass Ranch in Wesley Chapel
Valencia Bay in Boynton Beach
Marina Bay in Fort Myers
Valencia Bonita in Bonita Springs
Checklist for Selling Your Home
Whether you are selling your current home to downsize or investing in a larger home, preparing for the process can make it more enjoyable and less stressful. The Nest provides a checklist that can be used by those with Florida homes for sale throughout the selling process.
Whether you are selling your current home to downsize or investing in a larger home, preparing for the process can make it more enjoyable and less stressful. The Nest provides a checklist that can be used by those with a home for sale throughout the selling process.
Get your home inspected
Having your home inspected by a professional can ensure any major fixes are completed before buyers have it inspected on their own. This will also help when pricing your home, as repairs that you don't complete may prompt potential buyers to negotiate for a lower price.
- Ask for an up-to-date measurement of your home's square footage, noting the size of each room
- You will need to include the purchase date of appliance
- Use your home inspector to find out information regarding local schools, taxes and your home's proximity to public transportation if you don't already know
Make needed fixes
Making any necessary fixes that you've been holding off on can help ensure your home can compete with other homes for sale. Making cosmetic changes, such as painting the walls, can also help it be more appealing to a wider variety of potential buyers.
- Plant seasonal flowers outdoors that are low maintenance
- Finish any do-it-yourself projects such as lubricating squeaky doors or fixing leaking faucets
- Sweep the sidewalk and other walkways leading to your home
- Touch up any chipped paint on your home's exterior
- Repaint any walls that aren't neutral colors using lighter tones
- Mow the yard and trim the bushes
- Declutter common areas of the home and remove excessive personal items
Price to sell
When listing your home for sale, it is important that it is priced correctly. Using a real estate agent who is familiar with the area can be helpful, while having an inspection completed and doing your research on the competition can also ensure an appropriate listing price.
- Set a realistic selling price, including a high and a low
- Determine a listing price with an understanding that it may be negotiated lower
- Compare your ideal price with those of homes have have sold in recent months
- You should also compare those of homes that are currently listed for sale
Working with a realtor vs for sale by owner
While there are many benefits to using professional services offered by real estate agents, many homeowners may opt to sell their home on their own to save money.
If working with a Realtor
- Get recommendations from friends or family to find an agent
- Choose a shorter-term contract to push for a quicker sale
- Work together to determine the optimal time to host an open house
- Hire additional professionals, such as a lawyer, for difficult offers, contracts and mortgages
If listing your home FSBO
- Take lots of pictures showcasing your home's features, but make sure the house is clean first
- Set a date for your open house
- Advertise your home using the internet, newspapers and other social media sites
- Put up for sale signs in the front yard and provide printouts of sell sheets